Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish - Happy Diwali

Life is all about making the correct choices. When I started this blog, many people asked me different questions, 'Why Insanity?', 'Why not an intro post first?' and sum ridiculous ones like 'Why blogger and not wordpress?' which was irrelevant with the content. But it is certain that whenever you start something there is criticism from everywhere. But this shouldn't be the reason for not believing in yourself, as only you know what you can do the best and in the best way.

Few days back in the evening as I logged into facebook, everywhere I could see RIP Steve Jobs and similar statuses, we lost one of the greatest visionaries of this world. And then I came across a video in my friend's tribute to him. It was the Stanford Commencement Speech of 2005. Now some of you may laugh at me for not knowing about this speech but I'm certain that many of us still don't know about this. This speech gave answers to almost all the questions which were in my mind.

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)


 He says that
"The easiest way to get out of the trap of thinking you have something to lose is remembering that you are going to die."
Everyone wants to live forever and most people live like this. They live like they have nothing to lose. They live like they might not die tomorrow. It’s an easy trap to fall into. Make an effort every day to realize the impermanence of life.

The phrase that caught my mind was "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish". No, that does not mean eat a lot and act like fools. It means that stay hungry for knowledge and be foolish enough to make something new. As George Bernard Shaw said, "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Here is the actual video of the speech. I strongly encourage you to take the time to listen to the speech. It’s roughly 15 minutes in length, but it could quite possibly be the best use of 15 minutes of your time.


 I wish everyone a very happy and a safe Diwali.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Insanity by Sharmad Kuvelkar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at sharmad247.blogspot.com.